Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Edgar Wallace



Back in the late 60s & early 70s when I was growing up, I always was on the lookout for old horror and science fiction movies on TV. I'd watch the various "Creature Feature" packages that would run various films from the 50s & 60s on weekday and weekend afternoons and evenings. Then one day I came across one of the films made in (the then-existing) West Germany -I believe it was 1961's Dead Eyes of London , and I was hooked! I soon discovered these films (which included 1958's The Fellowship of the Frog and 1965's The Sinister Monk ) were based on the works of British mystery writer Edgar Wallace (1872-1932).

At the Movie Morlocks blog, Richard Harland Smith gives an excellent overview of Mr. Wallace's life & works, and of course the German krimi films made based on his books during 1958-1972. Mr. Smith also includes links of related interest as well. Here's the opening scene from one of the later Wallace adaptations. -Ed

1 comment:

cockneybarrowboy said...

This might interest you - my father starred in a few screen adaptations of EW stories in the 60's - http://www.stanleymorgan.co.uk/index2.htm Regards, Robert Morgan